Best Laptops for AutoCAD in 2020
AutoCAD is a challenging software that requires you to have a quality laptop. In the current digital industry, laptop features such as mobility and weight will become extremely important. Choosing the right laptop is a subtle game between performance, weight, screen size, portability, maximum capabilities, and price.
In this article, we will give you tips on buying a laptop and discover which are the best laptops for graphic designers. Keep in mind that simple social media graphics require impressive hardware power, and graphic design tools can work efficiently on any computer.
Best Laptops for AutoCAD – FEATURES AND PERFORMANCE
- The processor is an integral part of the laptop that makes it easy to run multiple applications. There are numerous processors to choose from, but the most suitable for graphic designers are Core i5, Core i7, AMD Ryzen, and Intel Xeon.
- RAM is essentially your device’s short-term memory. It temporarily stores (remembers) everything that runs on your PC, like all the services in Windows, your web browser, your image editing tool, or the game you’re playing. You don’t want the CPU digging through your slower storage, like a hard drive or even a solid-state drive (SSD), every time you request a new browser tab or load a new enemy to shoot. As fast as storage is compared to drives of years gone by, they’re still far slower than RAM.
- Storage Drive – Unlike RAM, it can store information permanently. An SSD can provide a super-fast startup and better processor performance.
- The screen is perhaps the most important part when choosing the right laptop is the screen. The higher resolution screen has more precise detail and color accuracy and makes it easier for the graphic designer to work with. 15-inch screen size is the minimum in today’s graphic design world.
- Keyboard & touchscreen – Graphic designers rarely do design only, usually work in teams or with clients, and a suitable keyboard is a must. Keyboard shortcuts are often used in a design, so proper key placement and ergonomic design can be crucial for speed. Want to buy a laptop with a touch screen? There is no universal approach when it comes to screens like this. Some love them because they provide a fast and easy zoom, others hate not offering many options, but after a while, you get used to it, and it stops being a nuisance.
- Battery duration/capacity – Most CAD users love novelties because they bring inspiration and ideas. You will often have to replace your favorite workplace and do the work on the go or at the restaurant, and the lack of outlets in these places can be very frustrating. With a good battery, you can take your laptop wherever you go and do business while enjoying your own freedom. With a 12-14 hour battery life, you can cruise the Atlantic and do your job.
Best Laptops for AutoCAD – Top 8 List
|Apple Macbook Pro||(4.5/5)||VIEW LATEST DEAL|
|Microsoft Surface Book 2||(3.9/5)||VIEW LATEST DEAL|
|Dell XPS 15||(3.5/5)||VIEW LATEST DEAL|
|Acer Predator Helios 300||(4.5/5)||VIEW LATEST DEAL|
|Lenovo Flex 5||(3.6/5)||VIEW LATEST DEAL|
|Asus Rog Strix SCAR 2||(4.2/5)||VIEW LATEST DEAL|
|HP Zbook Studio G5||(4.5/5)||VIEW LATEST DEAL|
|Dell Inspiron 17 3000||(3.7/5)||VIEW LATEST DEAL|
Apple MacBook Pro
If you are looking for the first time on the internet what are the best laptops for graphic designers you will get a clear answer – Apple MacBook Pro. Brand and operating system are the two main reasons why graphic designers choose Apple products. The Apple MacBook Pro is a powerful laptop with an Intel i7 Quad-Core processor and 16GB of working memory, however, this laptop is not for everyone, if you are a passionate Windows user it will take time to get used to the new system. This laptop does not have USB ports, but because of the great design experience Apple offers and the courage to encourage its users to innovate and technology, the Apple MacBook Pro deserves a standing ovation. Graphic designers will enjoy the work of AMD Radeon Pro Graphics and the high-resolution display. The only downside to this laptop is the high price tag.
Apple MacBook Pro Features
- Quad-core 8th-Generation Intel Core i5 Processor
- Brilliant Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645
- Ultrafast SSD
- Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- 802.11AC Wi-Fi
- Latest Apple-designed keyboard
- Force Touch trackpad
Apple MacBook Pro Specifications
- Display: 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors; True Tone technology
- Processor: 1.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, with 128MB of eDRAM
- Graphics and Video Support: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645
- Charging and Expansion: Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for charging, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps), and USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
- Wireless: 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking (IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible); Bluetooth 5.0 wireless technology
- In the Box: 13-inch MacBook Pro, 61W USB-C Power Adapter, USB-C Charge Cable (2 m)
- Height: 0.59 inch (1.49 cm)
- Width: 11.97 inches (30.41 cm)
- Depth: 8.36 inches (21.24 cm)
- Weight: 3.02 pounds (1.37 kg)
- Release Date: 5/21/2019
Microsoft Surface Book 2
The screen of the Surface book is smaller, but the performance of this laptop is the same as that of the MacBook Pro. The laptop runs on Core i7 processors and the screen resolution is 3000 × 2000, which is the best laptop screen for sketching and graphics. The Surface Book is very portable and can easily be transformed into a tablet. Add a touchscreen, and with the included pen, you’ll get a laptop that’s perfect for creatives who hate to overload their fingers. To save a little more money, you can also take an earlier Microsoft Surface model.
Microsoft Surface Book 2 Features
Built for performance.
Power professional-grade software all day with the latest quad-core Intel processors and the best graphics performance yet with the latest NVIDIA GeForce GPUs.
Adapts to the ways you create.
The new Surface Book 2 is a versatile laptop, powerful tablet, and portable studio in one. Get more done with four modes of use.
Designed with innovation in every detail.
Lightweight and powerful with unprecedented performance in a laptop this size. Get ideas down fast with a backlit keyboard and a display designed for touch and Surface Pen.
Experience the best of Microsoft.
Work, play, and create without limits. Experience the best of every Microsoft innovation, including 3D experiences.
Choose your mode
Surface Book 2 is a sleek, portable powerhouse. Use demanding apps and tackle complex tasks on the go with up to 17 hours of battery life. Get productive with a full keyboard and large trackpad, or use the interactive touchscreen.
Detach the stunning PixelSense Display to transform Surface Book 2 into a thin and powerful quad-core Intel Core i7 tablet you can take anywhere.
Fold Surface Book 2 into Studio Mode to draw and sketch in a comfortable, natural position. Add Surface Dial, Pen and touch for an immersive creative experience.
Detach the screen with the push of a button, turn it around, and reattach to share content and presentations. Interact with Cortana using only voice commands. Perfect for watching a movie or playing your favorite game.
Complete your experience with Surface Accessories
Surface Precision Mouse
Designed for exceptional accuracy, comfort, and control, the new Surface Precision Mouse helps you stay in your flow with flawless scrolling, three customizable thumb buttons, and the ability to use with up to three computers at the same time.
Now better than ever, the new Surface Pen delivers the most natural writing and drawing experience. With tilt support for shading, 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity, and virtually no lag.
Surface Dial is a completely new way to interact with technology. Store, customize, access, navigate, and reimagine physical tools in the digital world—from concept to creation.
Dell XPS 15
Dell has always been known for producing reliable devices. He recently entered the CAD design space with a powerful and yet affordable product. The Dell XPS 15 has a 15.6-inch display, runs on a Core i7 processor, and has 16GB of RAM. Dell may look too businesslike for a CAD designer’s taste, but it delivers one of the best designs on the market. It has many ports including HDMI, two USBs, Thunderbolt, and an SD card reader. Dell XPS 15 has a 512GB SSD and Nvidia 1050Ti graphic card so you have a high-quality laptop for a great price.
Dell XPS 15 Features
Meet one of the smallest 15.6-inch performance laptops on the planet.
- InfinityEdge display: The virtually borderless display maximizes screen space by accommodating a 15.6-inch display inside a laptop closer to the size of a 14-inch, thanks to a bezel measuring just 5.7mm.
- One-of-a-kind design: Measuring in at a slim 11-17mm and starting at just 4 pounds (1.8 kg) with a solid-state drive, the XPS 15 is one of the world’s lightest 15-inch performance-class laptops.
A stunning view, wherever you go.
- Dazzling detail: With the FHD display (1920 x 1080), you can see each detail of every pixel without needing to zoom in.
- Color: With 100% Adobe RGB color, the XPS 15 covers a wider color gamut and produces shades of color outside conventional panels so you can see more of what you see in real life. And with over 16 million colors, images appear smoother and color gradients are amazingly lifelike with more depth and dimension.
- Beautiful from any angle: The anti-Glare screen combined with superior 400-nit brightness frees you to enjoy your entertainment outdoors. Plus, the IPS panel provides a wider viewing angle, so you can share your screen without missing a thing.
CinemaStream: Killer Wireless channels maximum bandwidth to your videos or music for a seamless, stutter-free experience. CinemaSound: Waves MaxxAudio boosts volume and clarifies every tone, so you experience studio-quality sound.
Super-speed processors: The most powerful XPS laptop we’ve ever built includes the latest 8th Gen Intel Core i7 processor and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card (4GB GDDR5 video memory), so you can blaze through your most intensive tasks. Killer Wireless: The Killer 1535 Wireless-AC adapter provides a strong and reliable Wi-Fi connection and was designed specifically to make your online videos, voice, and games play faster and smoother. It automatically detects, classifies and prioritizes network traffic ensuring your most important data takes priority over your other less urgent applications. Killer delivers your critical packets immediately, thus eliminating unnecessary latency and lag.
Maximum memory and storage
Supports 16GB of memory with a bandwidth of 2666MHz, 1.2 times the speed of 2133MHz. Faster memory means you get to the content that you need quicker. Storage of 512GB M.2 2280 PCIe Solid State Drive(SSDs) in faster PCIe versions, provide plenty of storage room and high-performance responsiveness to access and run your applications quickly. The XPS 15 boots and resumes in seconds with a solid-state drive, so you can do more without waiting.
See what you’ve been missing: A standard backlit keyboard illuminates your keys so you can stay productive in low-light or no-light rooms while typing. Pinch, zoom and click with confidence: The precision touchpad prevents jumping and floating cursors, while Accidental Activation Prevention puts a stop to unintentional clicks when your palm hits the touchpad. Windows Hello: Enjoy a password-free sign-in with the fingerprint reader, which is integrated into the power button that gives you the fastest, most secure way to unlock your laptop. Using your finger, it recognizes you apart from all others. It waves you in with a friendly hello and even works on apps and Microsoft Edge websites.
More environmentally responsible than ever
Recycle-friendly: Over 90% of the laptop (by weight) can be easily recycled or reused. Maximum durability: Cut with precision from a single block of aluminum for a sturdy, durable chassis in a beautiful design. Cool under pressure: The palm rest is made from carbon fiber. It’s strong and thin like aluminum, but lighter and cooler to the touch.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti: Everyone deserves great gaming. That’s why we created the fast, powerful GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Now, you can turn your laptop into a true gaming rig, powered by NVIDIA Pascal—the most advanced GPU architecture ever created. It’s loaded with innovative NVIDIA Game Ready technologies that let every gamer experience the latest titles in their full glory.
Acer Predator Helios 300
This is a Gaming Laptop, which means it’s designed to handle high-level graphics. The way a laptop displays graphics directly affects the work of a CAD designer. This Gaming Laptop comes in four versions:
- CPU: i5-9300H/GTX 1660Ti/8GB/512GB
- CPU: i7-9750H/GTX 1660Ti/16GB/256GB
- CPU: i7-9750H/GTX 1660Ti/16GB/512GB
- CPU:i7-9750H/RTX 2060/16GB/512GB
Depending on the need for your graphic design, the laptop comes in two sizes: 17.3 inches and 15.6 inches. The larger screen version of the laptop weighs 9.26 pounds and the smaller version is 8.16 pounds. You can also consider the Acer Aspire 15 ″, which has similar specifications at a cheaper price and looks more professional.
Acer Predator Helios 300 Features
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 4. 5GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15. 6″ or 17.3” Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
- 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M. 2 Slots | 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) & 1 – Available Hard Drive Bay
- Backlit Keyboard | LAN: Killer Gaming Network E2500 | Wireless: Killer DoubleShot Pro Wireless-AX 1650 WiFi 6 802. 11ac | 4th Gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan
- RAM Type & Size: DDR4, 16 GB
Lenovo Flex 5
A laptop that combines reasonable price and great quality, the Lenovo Flex 5 is equipped with a 15.6” touchscreen display, has an Intel Core i5 or i7, and comes with 16GB of RAM with 256GB/512GB of upgradable space.
This laptop may not work as smoothly as a MacBook Pro or Microsoft Surface Book, but it still offers a great graphic design experience, and if you’re just getting started with graphic design and don’t have much money, this laptop is a perfect choice. The screen is top quality, the touchpad is too sensitive, but it can be easily solved with the mouse.
Lenovo Flex 5 Specifications
- Color: Onyx Black
- Screen: 10-point TouchScreen 15.6″ 16:9 aspect ratio IPS LCD with LED Backlight 1920 x 1080 (FHD)
- Processor: Intel Quad-Core i7-8550U 1.80 GHz (Turbo 4.0 GHz, 4 Cores 8 Threads, 8MB SmartCache)
- Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM
- Storage Drive: 512 GB SSD
- Graphics: Dedicated NVIDIA 940MX 2GB Graphics, Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620
- OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Optical Drive: None
- Webcam: 720p HD
- Network: 802.11 Wireless-AC + Bluetooth Combo
- Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard
- MISC: Fingerprint Reader
- Battery: 3 Cell, Lithium Polymer, 52.5Wh
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 14.33×9.72×0.75″
- Weight: 4.4 lbs
- Ports: HDMI | Media Card Reader | Headphone/Mic Combo | 2xUSB3.0 | 1xUSB3.0 Type-C
Asus ROG Strix SCAR II
If you are looking for a laptop with a unique design, then the Asus ROG Strix SCAR II Gaming laptop is the right choice for you. The laptop is equipped with high-performance hardware such as a Core i7 processor, 16GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX. The battery life of this laptop is just over 2 hours, but for such an affordable price it’s a great machine that can display your work in the best light.
Asus ROG Strix Scar 2 Features
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 | powerful gaming performance
- Tackle any task with the Intel Core i7 8750H (up to 3. 9GHz) processor
- 15. 6” high refresh rate 144Hz IPS Type Display | Slim 5mm Bezel and 3ms response time gaming laptop
- 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM | 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD + 1TB FireCuda SSHD | Windows 10 Home.Bluetooth 5.0
- Gigabit wave 2 802. 11AC Wi-Fi | Quad antennas. Rog range Boost Technology provides up to 30% wider coverage than dual antennas bit Wi-Fi with quad antennas. Rog range Boost Technology provides up to 30% wider coverage than dual antennas
- Hyper cool Pro thermal system | Dual 12V fans, Triple radiators, and heatsink, anti-dust technology
- Customizable ASUS Aura RGB Gaming Keyboard, RGB ROG logo, and light bar for ambient lighting effect
HP Zbook Studio G5
This laptop comes with an 8th generation Intel i7 Core with 32GB of RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro P600 graphics card. It is one of the most powerful laptops on the market. For those with 3D graphics, the HP ZBook Studio G5 delivers an immersive work experience without taking up much space on your office desk.
HP Zbook Studio G5 Features
- Memory: 32GB DDR4 RAM; Storage: 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (reseal for upgrades ONLY)
- Intel Hex-Core i7-8850H vPro (6 Cores 12 Threads, 2.60GHz, up to 4.30GHz, 9 MB L3 Cache)
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Glossy Display with HD Webcam
- 2 x USB 3.0 (one always on), 2 x USB 3.1 Type-C Thunderbolt 3, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x Audio Combo Jack
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit – Ideal for Home, Professionals, Small Business, and Education
Dell Inspiron 13 5000
For designers who travel a lot, a smaller, lighter laptop is ideal. Introducing the 2019 Dell Inspiron 13, which has a flexible 13.3-inch touch screen, Intel Core i7-8550U quad-core CPU and 8 GB of memory. It’s the perfect balance between performance and portability.
Dell Inspiron 13 5000 Features
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
- 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to [16GB], (additional memory sold separately)
- 256 GB (SSD)
- 13.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Truelife, LED-Backlit Touch Display with Wide Viewing Angles-IR Camera
- Be more productive. Windows 10 is the best for bringing ideas forward and getting things done
Best Laptops for AutoCAD – WHAT’S THE BEST?
Graphic designers usually have a specific list of features that require a laptop, but you can rarely combine all of these features into one laptop. The Apple MacBook Pro remains the most desirable option for many designers due to its stunning design and top performance, however, other brands offer high performance, which is no less pleasing to the eye.