The keyboard is among the most used computer components. And yet, we pay the least attention to buying a keyboard. If you are a writer and you need a keyboard for writing we’ve put together a couple of shopping tips for the best keyboards for writers.
Types Of Keyboards
Depending on how you connect your keyboard to your computer, we have wired keyboards and wireless keyboards.
Unlike the mouse, which we constantly move so that the wire can easily bother us, the keyboard usually stays in place. Unless you like to move the keyboard to your lap and use it casually leaning back in your armchair, the wire from the keyboard in the vast majority of cases won’t bother you at all.
Wired keyboards have a shorter response time, are more durable and you don’t have to worry about replacing batteries. But if you do opt for a wireless keyboard, you can choose between an RF and a Bluetooth keyboard.
The RF keyboard uses a radio connection. With it, you get a small USB receiver that you plug into your computer and it starts the keyboard. It usually operates at a frequency of 2.4 GHz. If you also have an RF mouse, you can connect it to the same receiver and save one USB port.
It also means that other devices that use the same frequency, such as a microwave and cordless phone, can interfere with the keyboard.
The Bluetooth keyboard does not need a USB port and is therefore ideal for devices such as mobile phones, tablets, or smart TVs. Also, Bluetooth is more reliable than RF and is less likely to experience interference.
However, Bluetooth keyboards require more frequent charging and replacement of batteries than RF keyboards.
If you use the keyboard for a few hours each day, stay away from Bluetooth. But if any free USB port is crucial to you (don’t have a USB hub yet?) Or if you need a tablet or laptop keyboard, Bluetooth is a satisfying option.
A special category in the wireless keyboards category are portable keyboards.
These are usually mini keyboards that you can easily store with your tablet or other smart device and carry with you. Silicone keyboards can even be fully rolled up and stored in a pocket or bag.
Although they are great for travel because of their water and dust resistance, easier cleaning, and easy portability, silicone keyboards are not designed for everyday office work.
Want to work on the train on the way to work? Great choice. Writing a thesis on a silicone keyboard? Not really.
Depending on the materials we distinguish:
- Keyboard with rubber caps
- Membrane keyboard
- Mechanical keyboard
As the name suggests, rubber dome keyboards use small rubber caps under each key that send a signal to the computer when pressed.
Much more popular than them are membrane keyboards that contain a large rubber surface that connects all the keys. They are simpler and cheaper to produce – and therefore cost less. Membrane keyboards are intended for laptops.
Lately, mechanical keyboards have become increasingly popular. Each key has its own spring that returns the key to its home position when we press it.
They are nothing new. Mechanical keyboards were the first keyboards to appear. However, after a while, they were replaced by cheaper membrane keyboards.
The biggest advantage of mechanical keyboards is their durability and precision.
Due to the mechanical mechanism, it is much more difficult to accidentally press more keys at once, so there are also fewer typists. You will write more accurately and better.
Mechanical keyboards are significantly less worn and easier to clean. But that’s why they require stronger pressure during use and are much louder than their membrane counterparts.
Mechanical keyboards are an ideal choice for gamers, writers, bloggers, journalists. developers and all others who use keyboards for a few hours every day and look for as few typists as possible during operation. For everyone else, membrane keyboards will do more than well.
You may not have thought about this, but the shape of the keyboard can make it much easier – or harder – to use.
A handy feature is the ability to position the keyboard in height, especially if it is used by multiple people. To make life easier for your joints, consider an extra armrest.
Ergonomic keyboards require customization. If the keyboard doesn’t sit down after you use it for the first time, instead of putting it back in immediately, invest in it for a few days.
The ideal solution is to try the ergonomic keyboard with a friend or colleague.
Whether you’re a night bird and love to type in the dark or want a backlit keyboard for a better gaming experience, the choice is huge.
There are two types of lighting:
- lighting around the button
- illumination of the button itself
Illuminating the key itself is more convenient because you will see better which letter or character you choose, as opposed to lighting around the key.
There are keyboards where the lighting can be programmed to make certain keys brighter than others, or you can set certain lighting effects.
Illuminated wireless keyboards are rare because light consumes a lot of battery power, so you’ll generally have to choose between wired keyboards.
Lighting is more of a luxury than something your keyboard can’t do without. Unless there’s an explicit reason why you want a backlit keyboard, there’s no need to set aside a bigger budget for it.
The Purpose of the Keyboard
What kind of keyboard you buy depends on how much and what you use it for. For example, someone who uses the keyboard a couple of times a week will need a completely different device than a semi-professional or professional writer.
Keyboards for Writers
If you are a journalist, blogger, student, or if for any reason you use the keyboard for a few hours a day and more, a mechanical keyboard is also a good choice. Frequent use will be made easier by the ergonomic keyboard.
Wired keyboards are a better choice than wireless ones. In the event of a signal loss or low battery, it will interfere unnecessarily.
List of the Best Keyboards for Writers in 2021
Here is the detailed product information for the best keyboards for writers available to buy on Amazon right now!
In the below list we will present you the best 10 keyboards for writers in 2021:
- Improved typing posture: Type more naturally with a curved, split KeyFrame. The sloping keyboard reduces strain on your wrists and forearms.
- Pillowed wrist rest: the curved wrist rest offers 54% more wrist support and reduces wrist bending by 25% compared to a standard keyboard without Palm rest.
- Perfect stroke keys: scooped keys match the shape of your fingertips. Type with confidence on a wireless keyboard crafted for comfort, Precision, and fluidity.
- Adjustable Palm lift: seated or standing, keep your wrists in a comfortable, natural posture—with tilt legs of 0°, -4°, and -7°.
- Ergonomist Approved: Ergo K860 is certified to improve posture and lower muscle strain.
- Familiar features: conveniently connect with USB receiver or Bluetooth wireless technology from up to 10 meters*, customize FN key functions, enjoy quiet keys, full-size layout and caps lock indicator.
- EASY TO SEE KEYS: Large print keys to reduce eyestrain and promote productivity. 4x Larger than conventional computer keyboards
- 3 COLOR BACKLIGHT: Customize the look of your AZIO backlit keyboard with 3 color of LED selections. Select between red, blue, or purple backlight illumination.
- QUICK ACCESS KEYS: Built-In multimedia and quick-access hotkeys to improve productivity.
- PLUG N PLAY: This USB keyboard takes away the hassle of power charging or swapping out batteries and is easy to setup. No drivers required.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – This wired keyboard has a small built-in wrist rest for extra comfort. Low-profile keys with large prints makes it a good choice for working, study and playing.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE AND HIGH QUALITY WITH SUPER AWESOME FEEL - This high-performance, mechanical keyboard feels amazing on your fingertips and offers two distinct tactile experiences - click and soft. Your fingers will love it. Now includes media controls for quick access to the most common media functions.
- PREMIUM TACTILE EXPERIENCE - Best-in-class Cherry MX Blue mechanical key switches provide tactile and audio feedback so accurate it allows you to execute every keystroke with lightning-fast precision. Enjoy the tactile experience you love from a mechanical keyboard, with just enough sound to satisfy you - and not annoy your coworkers!
- UP TO 50 MILLION KEYSTROKES - Laser-etched keycaps for maximum durability are paired with Cherry MX Blue switches, giving your new mechanical keyboard life up to 50 million keystrokes. High-performance, gold-plated switches provide the best contact and typing experience because, unlike other metals, gold does not rust, increasing the lifespan of the switch.
- FULL N-KEY ROLLOVER - Model S allows full N-key rollover with an included PS2 adapter, and 6 keys with USB. Great for fast typists and gamers alike.
- 2 PORT USB 2.0 HUB & MORE - The convenience to charge USB devices and simultaneously upload content through USB is now right at your fingertips. Extra long 6.5 ft (201 cm) USB cable with single USB type-A connector. Special Media Keys (inscriptions in blue): sleep, brightness +/-, mute, volume +/-, eject, play/pause, next and previous track. White LED backlighting.
- Easy Setup: Simply insert the nano USB receiver into your computer and use the keyboard instantly.
- Ergonomic design: Stainless steel material gives heavy duty feeling, low-profile keys offer quiet and comfortable typing.
- 6-Month Battery Life: Rechargeable lithium battery with an industry-high capacity lasts for 6 months with single charge (based on 2 hours non-stop use per day).
- Ultra Thin and Light: Compact size (16.9 X 4.9 X 0.6in) and light weight (14.9oz) but provides full size keys, arrow keys, number pad, shortcuts for comfortable typing.
- Package contents: Arteck Stainless 2.4G Wireless Keyboard, nano USB receiver, USB charging cable, welcome guide, our 24-month warranty and friendly customer service.
- All Metal Construction including Cast Metal Programmable Return Bar
- Dual Scroll Knob for Volume and Page Scroll
- Integrated tablet stand supports up to 12.9 inch
- Wireless and USB connectivity (now supports USB-C)
- German Engineered Tactile Mechanical Switch
- Patented Typewriter Inspired Mechanical Keycaps
- New Long Lasting Battery
- Dynamic RGB backlighting across three zones, with full customization of colors and lighting effects
- Dust and spill resistant design rated up to IP42 protection guards against accidents so your gameplay never has to stop
- Six programmable macro keys give you the in-game advantage of powerful macros or key remaps
- Detachable, soft rubber palm rest reduces stress on your wrists so you can play longer in comfort
- Dedicated volume and media controls give you direct control over your audio without having to interrupt your game
- Powerful corsair iCUE software enables vivid, dynamic RGB lighting control, sophisticated macro programming and full-system lighting synchronization across all iCUE-compatible Corsair devices
- Quiet and responsive keys for comfortable typing during both work and play
- Anti-ghosting with selective key rollover means your inputs register in-game even with simultaneous key presses
- Windows key lock mode ensures you’ll never accidentally interrupt your game at critical moments
- Roccat Titan switches – tactile and crisp Brown mechanical switches
- Aimo illumination – RGB backlighting and LED lighting effects
- Durable design – robust materials and switches that resist dust build-up
- Advanced anti-ghosting – NKRO – Full n-key rollover means every key stroke registers
- Detachable wrist rest – Works via magnetic mechanism, ergonomic & comfortable
- Magic Keyboard combines a sleek design with a built-in rechargeable battery and enhanced key features.
- With a stable scissor mechanism beneath each key, as well as optimized key travel and a low profile, Magic Keyboard provides a remarkably comfortable and precise typing experience.
- It pairs automatically with your Mac, so you can get to work right away.
- Perfect stroke keys: Spherically dished keys match the shape of your fingertips, offering satisfying feedback with every tap
- Comfort and stability: Type with confidence on a keyboard crafted for comfort, stability, and precision
- Smart illumination hand proximity detection and automatic backlighting
- Flow cross computer control: Type on multiple computers in 1 fluid workflow
- Multi device & multi OS: Compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android systems - Pair with up-to 3 devices
- USB c Rechargeable: Full charge lasts up-to 10 days or up-to 5 months with back-lighting off
- 1 year limited hardware warranty
- Easy and comfortable typing on quiet keys with bold, easy to read characters
- Large (3.5 inch) touch pad with multi touch navigation for easier web browsing
- Control your TV connected laptop from the couch with 33 feet/10 meter wireless range
- Plug the tiny Logitech Unifying wireless receiver into your laptop and start surfing the web
- Works with Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP
When we need a new keyboard, most of us will walk into the store and take the cheapest one. But if you spend most of the day behind the keyboard, even the slightest change can make a big difference. When choosing a keyboard, pay close attention to how you will use it. The point is to make the keyboard work easier, faster, and more efficient. In case the keyboard is not the only peripheral you need, we have also prepared a guide for buying a mouse.